The City of Los Angeles recently passed Ordinance 183893,which requiring property owners to retrofit their wood-frame soft-story buildings, and non-ductile concrete buildings.
The goal of the mandatory retrofit programs is to reduce structural deficiencies by the most economical and feasible methods and improve the performance of buildings during earthquakes.
Without proper strengthening, the buildings may be subjected to structural failure after an earthquake.
Priority Dates for Compliance:
- Buildings with 16 or more dwelling units 3-story and above May 2, 2016, 2-story July 22, 2016
- Buildings with 3 or more stories with less than 16 units Oct 17, 2016
- Buildings not falling within the definition of Priority I or II with 9-15 units Jan 30, 2017, with 7-8 units May 29, 2017, with 4-6 units Aug 14, 2017
- Condos/Commercial Oct 30, 2017
- 2 years: Submit proof of a previous retrofit, or plans to retrofit or demolish
- 5 years: Obtain a permit to start construction or demolition
- 7 years: Complete construction
Soft Story Property Owners Guide